Thursday, October 4, 2012

Maurice Sendak: When I Was a Child

When I Was a Child is a thin softbound volume collecting the reminiscences of a number of writers and artists. It was published in 1992 by Bibliopolo Press, an imprint of the University of Connecticut for the Children's Literature Association. Contributors include Laurent de Brunhoff, Madeleine L'Engle, Alison Lurie, Richard Scarry, and Jane Yolen, among many others. The volume is apparently scarce and I haven't been able to find Maurice Sendak's cover art on the internet, so today I'm taking the opportunity to remedy the situation once and for all.

Maurice Sendak, When I Was a Child Book Cover, January 1992


Maurice Sendak, When I Was a Child Book Cover, January 1992

0476

2 comments:

  1. From a quick search this morning, this item is housed in only 11 libraries worldwide, including one here in MN. You have piqued my interest enough to try and get it via inter-library loan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you again, Sous-Chef. You were the first person to ever leave a comment on this blog, and for that I am forever grateful. Once again, I have motivated you with Maurice Sendak, a truly extraordinary illustrator.

      I suspected that this volume was a rarity, and I'm glad that at least eleven copies have found their way into libraries. When you get your hands on it, please let me know what you think of it.

      Delete