Saturday, July 23, 2011

Paging Doctor Mouse


These photos were taken during my most recent trip to Walt Disney World in March of 2008. Here in Crystal Arts on Main Street, USA, we see Mickey and Minnie Mouse assuming responsible roles in health care. All well and good, right?

Is it my imagination, or is the lesson here that boy mice should become doctors and girl mice should become nurses? Am I reading too much into this? I don't think so. Welcome back to the 1950's!







Notes:  My previous post on Disney animation art is here.

My last post on Crystal Arts regarding the Swarovski Cinderella Castle is here.


Blog Update:  My Happy Birthday, George Booth post has been updated again here to follow up on James Gurney's contest to "finish" The New Yorker cover.


28

2 comments:

  1. I would agree, I think those stereotypes are alive and well in the world of the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seem to be, Sous-Chef, but I had hoped Ariel, Belle, and Mulan had begun to change some of that.

    ReplyDelete