Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008) by J. K. Rowling

The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008)
J. K. Rowling

The final movie in the Harry Potter series is being released today. To get us all in the mood, I posted brief reviews of three of the  earlier Harry Potter movies. My opinion of the movies is not likely to change with the last installment, and for anyone who knows Harry exclusively through the movies, the first thing I would suggest is to read the books and see what you've missed. For those who have read all seven books, you might try The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling.

The book purports to be a translation from the Runish by the character Hermione Granger of some fairy tales that figure prominently in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It is very nicely done.  I like the idea of including learned but humorous commentary from Albus Dumbledore. Rowling has given us a very different sort of fairy tale collection which is imaginative, funny, and quite charming. It fits quite naturally into the world of Harry Potter. To my regret, it's a quick read.

Hallows.svg


My brief movie review  of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1"  can be found here.  I'm going to see Part 2 tonight!

020

No comments:

Post a Comment