Thursday, August 8, 2024

Peter Arno in College Humor, December 1934

The eBay listing in which I located the College Humor issue of which today we speak dated it to December 1937, which seemed to be plausible enough, what with the higher 25 cent cover price and all. Inflation, you know, not to mention the financial realities of the Great Depression, could be expected to take their toll. But when the magazine arrived, the date of the issue was December 1934, no question.


The three Peter Arno cartoons I had come to expect inside each issue whenever his name was emblazoned on the cover banner were here only two, but they were each a full page so they still covered the same magazine acreage as did his later "Side-Show" feature. The hard truth is that the Arno cartoons I have been hunting down so diligently among the 1936 to 1937 issues conceivably might be scattered in the 1934 to 1935 era as well. That's really not the worst news one could get from a misdated magazine.

"Come on, you little squirt!"
Peter Arno
College Humor, December 1934, p. 5


"My God, Connolly, you're wounded!"
Peter Arno
College Humor, December 1934, p. 25


Note:  Maybe I haven't mentioned it before:  Attempted Bloggery is the place I would like to post obscure cartoons by Peter Arno, such as these seemingly forgotten gems from College Humor. I've already placed quite a few in the archives; I'm looking only for the ones I haven't found yet. I know, it sounds so simple . . .



04713

No comments:

Post a Comment