Thursday, August 19, 2021

Lászlo Roth, New Yorker Spot Artist

The history of New Yorker spot drawings is rife with mysteries. Far less is known about the spots than about the cartoons or covers created for the magazine. Some are by familiar names—Otto Soglow, James Thurber, Arthur Getz, Abe Birnbaum—with familiar, even unmistakeable, styles. Others, though, are by less familiar, or sometimes frankly obscure, artists. Identifying these illustrators is often challenging. Signatures may be illegible, or mere initials, or absent altogether. In my June 27 post, I noted a long-forgotten spot drawing signed with only a first name, Lászlo, from the issue of June 19, 1978. It depicts children on a camel ride, very likely the one at the Bronx Zoo. Who might Lászlo be, I wondered. There are any number of artists with the name, but none is widely known for working at The New Yorker.

Or so I thought. The answer, I believe, was to be found all along on eBay. A series of original works of greeting card art by illustrator Lászlo Roth (1921-1996) had been listed on the auction site since at least October of 2020 and was eventually sold for an undisclosed price (less than $200) on July 19, 2021. Promisingly, Roth signed his name Lászlo with an acute accent over the á (but not the o).


The eBay listing identifies him as a New Yorker artist and, in this case, that might even be accurate. Lászlo's technique seems very versatile, and his style shifts from one group of subjects to the next. Unfortunately, the eBay listing gives no examples of the artist's work on scratchboard, which is apparently what he used for the New Yorker spot. Still, he seems to be the Lászlo we're looking for.













Lászlo Roth
eBay listing ended 


Lászlo Roth
eBay item description


[End of eBay listing]





Spot drawing by Lászlo Roth and cartoon by George Booth



Note:
  I'd love to hear from anyone with more information about Lászlo Roth and his spot work for The New Yorker.

Today, happily, The New Yorker gives full credit to its spot artists.




03722

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Laszlo was my grandfather!

    I stumbled across this blog while looking at some of his art that was up for auction recently. We still have hundred and hundreds of pieces of his art. He was also well known for his contributions in the package design sector - his text book on that is still used today.

    Feel free to email me at benbrookesroth@gmail.com if you have any questions.

    Seasons greetings from New Zealand,

    Ben Roth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandfather was very talented, Ben. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 1986, I had just graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in graphic design. I decided to take one more class (really as an excuse to go to NYC for the first time) and landed in Laszlo's summer school course at Parson's School of Design, back when it was called that. Laszlo changed my life! I honestly didn't have much confidence in my work before meeting him, but that all changed because he was so encouraging, and loved my work. I will never forget his kind mentoring. What a wonderful person he was!

    ReplyDelete