Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #423

Those concerned about my declining prospects in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest can breathe a sigh of relief that after two weeks of inexplicable flightiness I now have resumed my customary weekly submission. Nevertheless, I don't think my odds are too much better. Here is my entry for Contest #423 for April 14, 2014. The frothy drawing is by Gahan Wilson. The squeaky-clean caption is by me.

"May I get the parquet floor wet just this once?"


Here are a few other unused caption ideas of mine:
"Quick, Mavis, my Speedo!"
"Guess where the word creepy comes from?"
"Don't just stand there!  Lock the front door!"
"I'm taking the tub and leaving you."
"You know how you always say I'm getting carried away?"
"Care to join me?"
"You were right. We should have replaced it with a Jacuzzi."
"It's time for our walk."
"No, it's too late for bubbles."

April 25, 2014 Update:  The Finalists


May 5, 2014:  Winning Caption




Note:  Last week I didn't remember to submit my caption. No wonder I didn't become a finalist! Read the details of Contest #422 here. Turtle power!

If you'd like to see more posts about Gahan Wilson, you've come to the right place. See all the unsettling stuff here.

Gahan Wilson's New Yorker work is in the Condé Nast Collection here.

The website for the documentary "Gahan Wilson:  Born Dead, Still Weird" by Steven-Charles Jaffe is here. I don't think much is happening over there right now.

Gahan Wilson's 2009 radio interview on the Leonard Lopate Show is archived here.

You can find news about Gahan Wilson on Ink Spill here.

There are also a few illustrations by Gahan Wilson on The Pictorial Arts blog here.

Meanwhile, it's the last day of National Library Week. See my posts celebrating libraries here.

My Easter posts may be seen here.

You can still read my posts about Passover here.

01123

No comments:

Post a Comment