Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Go On, Say It -- 'I Resolve to Leave My Body to Science'"

Just sold at Bonhams on November 9 is this horrifically amusing St. Trinian's drawing from the pen of Ronald Searle. Searle's mastery of architectural detail is legendary. In his hands, the dormitory of a girls' boarding school seems to resemble some awful gothic prison. His striking schoolgirl composition here is anything but benign and innocent. Whether he's drawn convincing feet is perhaps another, more trivial, matter.

Lot No: 434AR
Ronald Searle (British, born 1920)
"Go on, say it - 'I resolve to leave my body to science'", a scene in St. Trinian's dormitory
signed 'Ronald Searle' (lower left), also inscribed pen, sepia ink and wash
34 x 23cm (13 3/8 x 9 1/16in).

Estimate: £700 - 1,000
Sold for £4,500 inclusive of Buyer's Premium 


May 12, 2012 Update:  This St. Trinian's masterwork is currently offered for sale by London art dealer Chris Beetles in his exhibition Ronald Searle Remembered, May 22 - June 9, 2012 for the princeley sum of 9,500 GBP. That's a dealer markup of 111% for those playing at home.


Ronald Searle Remembered exhibition sale price, May 22 - June 9, 2012, Chris Beetles Gallery



Ronald Searle, "Go on, say it --'I resolve to leave my body to science.'" Chris Beetles Gallery
May 28, 2012 Update:  The original St. Trinian's drawing  "Go on, say it --'I resolve to leave my body to science'" which was offered for sale by Chris Beetles at 9,500 GBP is now listed by the gallery as sold.

Note:  My previous post about Ronald Searle is here, and the big St. Trinian's Sale post is here, and those posts have even more links to more Searle and more St. Trinian's. Enjoy!

138

4 comments:

  1. £4,500? Wow! Ha ha, yes, those feet should be left to science. Off to check out your links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost delude myself, Leo, into thinking that those feet have thumbs, while that hand escaping from under the blanket just has five long fingers!

    ReplyDelete