Saturday, July 3, 2021

Lee Lorenz: "Hallelujah! I'm a Bum!"

Contributor David from Manhattan sent me some photos, including close ups, of original New Yorker cartoon art by Lee Lorenz. The drawing was published the year after Lorenz became the magazine's cartoon editor. The cartoonist is also an accomplished jazz cornetist, something that may be relevant in this instance. David writes:

I suppose I have a soft spot for song quotes in cartoons. The piece alternates on the wall above a case of jazz CDs with Lorenz's "Hallelujah! I'm a bum!" from '74. The artist put it on the same page in Now Look What You've Done with one of his masterpieces: devil musicians outplaying a Salvation Army band... Apparently owned by someone out in Michigan, according to the framer label... Lorenz draws great street grotesques.

He does indeed.

"Halleluhah! I'm a bum!"
Lee Lorenz
Original art
The New Yorker, December 16, 1974, page 46












Cartoons by Lee Lorenz and James Stevenson










Note:  My thanks to David from Manhattan for all he does. This is his forty-fifth contribution to Attempted Bloggery—that is if I've got my numbers straight.





03676

No comments:

Post a Comment