Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Sight Unseen: The First Issue of The New Yorker, February 21, 1925

On New Year's Day, I came across an AbeBooks listing for the very first issue of The New Yorker, dated February 21, 1925. I was immediately taken aback by the asking price, an absurdly low $4.39.

The New Yorker
AbeBooks
listing accessed January 1, 2021




Copies of the magazine's rare first issue currently listed on eBay are priced at $4,000 to $4,500, give or take a penny. There's no way a true copy could be selling for one one-thousandth of its market value, right? My best guess was that Discover Books of Toledo had mistakenly listed the 1953 reprint of the first issue.
Two current eBay listings of the first issue of The New Yorker, preceded by the 1953 reprint




The title of the AbeBooks listing was "The New Yorker, February 21, 1925 (Volume 1)." There was no accompanying photo. Listed authors were Ralph Barton, Marc Connelly, Rea Irvin, George S. Kaufman, Alice Duer Miller, Dorothy Parker, and Alexander Woollcott. Those were indeed the advisory editors listed on the first issue's masthead. The listing's specific details were all absolutely correct, but the price was too good to be true. Who was I not to take a shot at it? I placed my order sight unseen. Ten days later, the package was in my hands.


Here then are the contents:




The New Yorker Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Album 1925-1950 was published in 1951 and reissued in paperback in 1986, some sixty-one years after the first issue's publication. How a scuffed copy of this paperback edition was erroneously listed as a copy of the original 1925 magazine is beyond me, but it strikes me as more careless than malicious. The book has a $1.00 price pencilled on the half title; the $4.39 price I paid included postage. For what it's worth, I did not previously own a copy of the paperback.





03854

3 comments:

  1. I wish I knew what to do with my piles of copies of THE NEW YORKER! I have every issue (less, probably, about 5 or 10) since mid 1976. I've never clipped out a cartoon or detached a cover, and it seems an awful shame to just throw them out, but I'm moving to a new home with less space soon.Also, they are heavy! What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No time! I guess I was hoping someone would say "here's a big cheque, send them to me!" - but I will sell them. (I have been under pressure to just throw them out.) I don't think there's a strong Australian market for old New Yorkers, but the cost of postage will surely deter international buyers. I wonder if it's better to offer individual issues, small groups (months/quarters), or the lot, en masse?

    ReplyDelete