Tuesday, April 6, 2021

A High-Priced Copy of George Sprott (1894-1975) by Seth

I have not kept it a secret here that I'm a fan of Seth's signed books, by which I particularly refer to those with original character drawings or even self-portraits. Yet a copy of George Sprott 1894-1975 (2009) now on eBay has me puzzled over the issue of price. The book sports an original drawing of the title character. It is signed, in pristine condition, and in every way worthy of a mention here on Attempted Bloggery. Yet with an asking price of $500, it is more than ten to twenty times the price of the three other copies of this book I've shown on this blog previously. 

So the book is an outlier in terms of price, a very nice book to own but probably not a sound investment. Still, nothing is set in stone. An overpriced book isn't overpriced just because I say it is. If one buyer wants it enough, it's a sale. If several buyers start clamoring for such a book, it's a collector's item. If more and more people come to appreciate Seth's work, maybe it's a good investment after all.



I did actually make three offers for this book, generous (I thought) based on the prices of the copies of George Sprott already seen on this blog, but certainly not in the ballpark of the seller's price. We did not come to an agreement.

Seth
eBay listing accessed March 21, 2021





September 3, 2022 Update:  The book remains available. An image of the PSA DNA letter of authenticity has been added to the eBay listing and the Buy It Now price has been increased by $10.






03587

No comments:

Post a Comment