Sunday, January 21, 2018

Syd Hoff: Marriage Barrage

Ready, aim...
"Mind if I join you? He's my husband."
Syd Hoff
True, January 1948. page 110

Scan by Dick Buchanan


When I first saw this Syd Hoff cartoon from the January 1948 issue of True, I thought, that's not funny. I mean, it's juvenile. It's plain silly. It infantilizes the battle of the sexes. So, naturally, I asked my wife for her opinion. She informed me that the cartoon was "cute" and I was in the wrong. I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Note how the man stands out because of his dark attire against the snow. As we read the gag from left to right, we take in first the woman, the children, and the snowballs before we get to him, the target. He is already the "target" and focal point of the composition. The perspective lines of the wall point to him, and so do multiple lines from other figures' arms, from their feet, even from the brim of one child's hat, also from the angle of the roof and from the curve of the tree branches and the cloud. Note too how the sight lines from the eyes of the children point to the woman on the left and then to the man on the right. Thus Hoff's composition expertly establishes a flow from left to right. Finally, it's worth recalling that in 1948 no one gave a second thought to the commonplace use of hats, a cigar, and even a luxurious mink coat. 
"Mind if I join you? He's my husband."
Syd Hoff
True, January 1948. page 110

Scan by Dick Buchanan



Note:  I am ever obliged to Dick Buchanan for pummeling us with this beautiful scan. Dick keeps and maintains the legendary Dick Buchanan Cartoon Clip Files and he contributes regularly to Mike Lynch Cartoons, most recently a post entitled, "From the Dick Buchanan Files: William Steig Gag Cartoons 1946 - 1965." Great gags all around.

There's a lot of work by Syd Hoff out there. Attempted Bloggery
 is eager to see your scans or photographs of original art by the artist as well as published obscurities (gag cartoons, illustrations, advertisements, and recurring features) not readily available online. And if you should somehow happen to know the whereabouts of Hoff's Café Society mural, get in touch immediately.


External Links:

Syd Hoff, Cartoonist & Author

Ink Spill on Syd Hoff

Christopher Wheeler's Cartoon(ist) Gallery on Syd Hoff 



Quick Links to the Attempted Bloggery Archives:

Syd Hoff


Attempted Bloggery supports net neutrality.



02436

No comments:

Post a Comment