Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Lonesome Ghosts" (1937)

What's wrong with this picture, or rather this cel, which was sold at Christie's South Kensington back in 2000? For the answer, see below.

Lot Description
Walt Disney Studios 
Lonesome Ghosts, 1937
Mickey hunts for ghosts with a shotgun, gouache on trimmed celluloid, applied to full celluloid, applied to a colour xerox background, unframed
Image -- 4.1/8x4in. (10.5x10.2cm.)
Sight -- 9½x13½in. (24x34.3cm.)

Price Realized 

  • £2,233
  • Estimate
    £2,000 - £2,500
  • ($3,016 - $3,770)
Sale Information
Sale 8779 
Animation Art, Contemporary Toys and Souvenirs 
5 June 2000
London, South Kensington
This celluloid from Walt Disney's classic short "Lonesome Ghosts" (1937) shows Mickey Mouse in his ghost-hunting role. He shared the business with Donald Duck and Goofy. It's a nice image, but it doesn't make any sense to show him in front of his place of business when he should be trying to hunt ghosts in a haunted house. In other words, the Xerox color background is from the right short but the wrong scene. Here's the correct setting:

http://johnrozum.blogspot.com/2010/10/31-days-of-halloween-day-2.html

Image added December 25, 2011
http://www.pasadenaweekly.com/cms/story/detail/animation_ecstasy/10843/



Walt Disney's "Lonesome Ghosts" (1937)
Video modified August 5, 2013


August 5, 2013 Update:  So here is how this lot was assembled:
Ajax Ghost Exterminators establishing shot from Walt Disney's "Lonesome Ghosts" (1937), Video Still 1:18
Image added August 5, 2013
The present lot consists a Xerox background from the shot above and a cel of Mickey from the frame below.
Mickey Mouse hunting ghosts in Walt Disney's "Lonesome Ghosts" (1937), Video Still 3:20
Image added August 5, 2013



Note:  My last Disney post is here, sort of.

0127

7 comments:

  1. This is my favorite of all the Disney shorts. As a kid I would moon over a still of that very scene with the ghost and wish I could see the film, and only years later did I watch the actual cartoon on DVD, and now I can watch it whenever I want! Isn't modern life somethin'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, for many years in the 1970's I waited for theatrical re-releases to see classic Disney features. As for the great Disney shorts, they were almost impossible to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. Glad I found you...very cool stuff.
    Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me too, Pen! As for your words of encouragement, they're always welcome.

      Delete
    2. Pen, I have updated both my posts on the Disney short "Lonesome Ghosts" today in your honor.

      Delete
  4. I have a cell from this movie framed! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care to send me a photo? Maybe we can match it up with its frame from the cartoon.

      Delete