Monday, August 24, 2026

Sight Unseen: George Sprott (1894-1975) With an Original Drawing of . . .

In June, a Canadian bookseller offered a copy of Seth's 2009 opus George Sprott (1894-1975) with an original drawing. The listing showed only the usual stock photo. It's frustrating when this happens, but I have a history of purchasing books Sight Unseen, a gamble that often pays off, but not always. Thus I pursued this volume on the promise of something potentially wonderful, yet unvisualized, inside. The $60 price inclusive of shipping made this one seem a no-brainer. The seller, as it happens, felt remorse over another Seth book I ordered at the same time that proved unavailable and ended up sending this to me free of charge. That doesn't happen very often despite my good nature.



Seth
AbeBooks item description



The book did indeed hold an original drawing by the artist. Every copy of this book I have previously shown on the blog had a drawing of the title character. This one, to my surprise, has a delightful drawing of young Daisy Sprott, George's niece. On all counts, I'm going to call this addition to the library a win.



Here's a glimpse of Daisy:




05314

No comments:

Post a Comment