Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Sight Unseen: Gahan Wilson's "...And Then We'll Get Him!"

The Hermitage Bookshop of Denver listed a book by Gahan Wilson (1930-2019) that caught my attention. A second printing of the collection "...And then we'll get him!" (1978) was signed and inscribed with an original drawing of a bat. I've posted several such Wilson souvenir drawings in the past, but I've never actually owned one. This seemed a good opportunity to pick one up at a reasonable price, $75, with the hope of sharing it with my readers, sight unseen.

Gahan Wilson
AbeBooks listing accessed October 18, 2022


The order, placed late on October 18th, was canceled the following day. This is the second time in two months this has happened to me. It's certainly possible someone picked it up in the store before I placed my order. But I sometimes wonder whether my orders occasionally trigger a realization among booksellers that they have something really interesting they should perhaps hold on to. My suspicion is probably unfounded; few book dealers make their living by canceling sales and sending out refunds.


Note:  Once upon a time, I did manage to post a large assortment of Gahan Wilson's bats. That was back in 2012 with updates as recent as 2015. See them here. Clearly, I'm now ready to post more if anyone would care to submit some additional images.


Disappointment abounds. My September 1 post about a Sight Unseen copy of Edward Koren's book What About Me? came to the same unsatisfactory conclusion. See it here.




04119

No comments:

Post a Comment