Saturday, December 29, 2012

Warhol's Dollar Sign

This week, I used a silkscreen image of a dollar sign by Andy Warhol as an illustration for a little ramble I wrote about the fiscal cliff negotiations. My sensible essay was ignored, of course. In fact, despite my rather generous offer to impose a binding settlement on Washington's feckless politicians by the year-end deadline and restore sanity to our nation's dysfunctional capitol, I didn't hear back from anyone in high office. So I guess our politicians would rather handle things their way. We're all very impressed, I'm sure.

I felt bad about using this Warhol image as a mere illustration. As a work of art, it's quite worthy on its own terms. I got to see it at Sotheby's on the day I went to see Edvard Munch's The Scream. It's small but striking, and viewed up close it appears to have some random effects as the result of the silkscreening process. Here's a better look at it.

Andy Warhol, Dollar Sign, 1981
Sotheby's New York Sale N08554, May 10, 2012



Andy Warhol, Dollar Sign, 1981
Sotheby's New York Sale N08554, May 10, 2012


Sotheby's Catalogue Notes and Provenance
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/contemporary-art-day-n08854/lot.221.html
Fig. 1 Andy Warhol, Dollar Sign, 1980
Private Collection ?2012
Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts /
Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
561

No comments:

Post a Comment