Friday, September 30, 2016

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #538

Here is my entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #538 for September 26, 2016. The drawing is by Harry Bliss.

"Yikes! I just said, 'Down, boy,' didn't I?"



I'm really sorry about that! Perhaps it's best not to try and explain what I was thinking there. Suffice it to say these other captions didn't work any better:
"I never should have let you out of the bag, but
I can still sew you back in."
"Don't think you've got this sewn up."



October 3, 2016 Update:  The Finalists


October 10, 2016 Update:  Reluctantly, I voted for the third caption.


October 17 2016 Update: Winning Caption





Note:  Last week, cartoonist Mick Stevens reinvented the wheel. My caption was too square. Roll with Contest #537.

Duel with Harry Bliss in the blog archives. Or, at the very least, deal with him.

You don't suppose this blog keeps track of gags that play around with size, do you?

Or perhaps your one of those people who just want to see more kitties? Honestly, what do you think this is?

01982

4 comments:

  1. This one had me completely stumped.

    I liked how Bob let us rate the top 12 in a survey, like he used to do for the editors/staff. I wonder if he's stopped letting us see the full rankings so people don't get upset when they rank high but don't get to be a finalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alternatively, does he not want us to see the rankings because it would be obvious that third-rate captions are being manipulated to the top of the list?

      Delete