Sunday, July 31, 2016

My Entries in the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest for May/June 2016

The Moment Cartoon Caption Contest allows multiple entries, which are left as comments on their website or Facebook page. I submitted a total of four in the May/June 2016 contest. The subject, as you can see, is Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, but careful scrutiny reveals there's a hot dog vendor intruding on the familiar story. I'm more than happy with my captions, particularly the last one—although I understand why Moment might prefer not to publish it. Anyway, none of these made it to finalist status this time around. The drawing is by Benjamin Schwartz.

"I call him Lying Nathan!"
"He shows up every fall."
"He gets a full chapter in the Apocrypha."
"Eat the apple and you'll understand wiener jokes."


The Finalists:
Moment Cartoon Caption Contest Finalists for May/June 2016




September 20, 2016 Update:  Winning Caption


Note:  It's official: I am now a three-year veteran of the Moment Cartoon Caption Contest. Why, yes, I'd be happy to recite the statistics for you. Of the eighteen Moment caption contests I've entered, my caption has made it to finalist status in fourteen of which I've won five. What's most important here is that I've fulfilled and surpassed the Mankoff Prophecy.

You may be aware that I enter a fair number of these cartoon caption contests, especially for the New Yorker and Moment. The Moment contest has been the successful one for me. It's all in the archives.

See my previous posts about that original cartoonist and original sinner Benjamin Schwartz.

You can vote for a finalist in the current contest here. If summer reading is your thing, why not enter the July/August contest? Your participation will help make the contest a better one. Then, if you're truly obsessive, you can blog about the experience...

01933

No comments:

Post a Comment