Sunday, June 26, 2016

George Booth and Chicken C. Chicken

A man in overalls named Chicken C. Chicken looks on rather sheepishly in an original wash drawing by George Booth found in a copy of his 1976 collection Rehearsal's Off! Wash drawings are more likely to be studio creations than souvenirs made at book signings. The book is offered by History for Sale at $719.



History for Sale Listing Copied June 26, 2016


Note:  Signed books with original drawings are one of my favorite topics on this blog. Click on the aqua link to see them all. You might think that after five years of blogging I would have cornered the market on posting drawings by George Booth found in cartoon books, but you would be wrong. There are actually more of them on Chris Wheeler's Cartoon(ist) Galleries site than I have to show here. So check out his awesome page about George Booth to get an idea just how varied and interesting the cartoonist's drawings in books are. If you have any original Booth drawings made in cartoon books or elsewhere, please send them to me for inclusion on this blog. I don't like to take a back seat to anyone...

I've been trying to keep this under my hat, but George Booth will turn 90 on Tuesday. Why not celebrate with a loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and my collected posts about the art of George Booth? And thou.

Wait, we're not done here. There's still much to see on Michael Maslin's Ink Spill blog about the soon-to-be-nonagenarian George Booth. Check it all out here.

But if you'd like to read the words of the man himself, check out Jane Mattimoe's recent interview with Mr. Booth at A Case for Pencils.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention Richard Gehr's 2013 interview with George Booth for the Comics Journal. Semper Fi.

Now can anyone tell me what's so funny about chickens?

01898

No comments:

Post a Comment