Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #421--Almost

The unthinkable has happened. I neglected to submit my caption this week owing--coincidentally--to a herd of rhinoceroses occupying my local internet cafe. Here then is my intended entry in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest #421 for March 31, 2014. The cartoon is provided by Joe Dator and the mislaid caption is provided by me. As it happens, my caption is fairly straightforward here, possibly unfinished, and would not likely have gained the attention of the judges anyway.

"We need to get here before the stampede."

Another unused idea:
"What made you choose a place called Ionesco's?"

April 7, 2014 Update:  The Finalists


April 25, 2014 Update:  Winning Caption


Note:  A ping pong match before the Supreme Court? I thought my caption was inevitable, but alas the decision of the judges is final. See my pro bono entry for Contest #420 here.

Joe Dator appears in my essential blog post on New Yorker Cartoons at Auction here.

01104

2 comments:

  1. "we need to get here before the stampede". Thats really funny! works perfectly.

    Mine was "Its a only a 2-horn rated restaurant" (instead of star rating). I just wanted to see who the winning caption and came across your blog.

    ReplyDelete